Search / Filter

Name:
Pet friendly:
Self catering:
WIFI:
DSTV:
Swimming pool:
Fireplace:

McGregor Heritage Society Museum

The museum is situated in the McGregor Tourism Office which is a national monument building on the corner of Voortrekker and Church Streets. 

Inside the museum one of the artefacts is the engraved silver trowel used to lay the foundation stone of the Dutch Reformed church in 1904. It was found in a secret compartment in a desk bequeathed to Mick Corbett, former Chief Justice of SA, who is a great grandson of the Rev. Andrew McGregor, the church's Scots-born pastor after whom the village was officially renamed in 1906.

Another is an authentic King James Bible (bearing Rob Roy's signature) which can be seen by appointment.

A collection of important Andrew McGregor family memorabilia is rapidly expanding, thanks , to the interest and generosity of the pastor's descendants.

Also expanding is an extremely valuable and intrinsic part of the reason for the founding of the Museum, the recording and transcription of oral histories from long-time McGregor inhabitants. Some remember working in the whipstock industry for which the village became respected worldwide, and many have illuminating stories about what life was like on the farms and vineyards in the early 1900s. These are kept in an open file on a table, for anyone to read at leisure.

The latest Museum Group research into the history of the Kampterrein, McGregor's first secondary school, is now on display in the Library. Previous library displays (such as those on the Boesmanskloof Pass and Paul Cesar) can be viewed in the Museum.

The Museum operates under the authority of the Heritage Society of McGregor (registered no. HWC/RCB/89/05) The Museum would welcome the donation, loan or copies of any documents, letters, title deeds, artefacts etc. which relate to life in the area from the latter part of the 1700s onwards.

The Museum has transcriptions of arguments over water rights fought in the courts by pioneering farmers at that time. Although a number of houses were built in the first part of the 1800s, the village was officially proclaimed only in 1862.

Opening hours:
Mon-Fri: 9am-1pm; 2pm-4.30pm
Sat: 9am-1pm; 2pm-4pm
Sun: 9am-1pm

For more information contact Marilyn Poole - k-mpoole@lando.co.za or 023 6251 306

 

Enquire Now  |  Back to Listings
570.jpg

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

McgregorcountrygetawaysFollow