The Langeberg Steel Band is a youth development initiative of the Breede River Winelands Rural Development Association (BRWRDA) which is a partnership between farm workers, farmers, wine cellars and the Langeberg Municipality to specifically address the needs of farm workers. The Langeberg Steel Band was established in 2009. The band has become a model youth development project in a remarkably short space of time, plays regularly at functions and is now being booked for private events making it partially self-sustaining.There are currently 16 members in the band aged between 12-18 years who meet to practice every Saturday morning. All the band members are the children of farm workers. The band enjoys the supervision of retired professional musician John Hargreaves who has been Principal Percussionist of both the Cape Town and the KZN Philharmonic Orchestras and has taught music at the University of Cape Town and for the Western Cape Education Department.
The project aims to provide:
• basic musical training which is not available in the under-resourced local schools
• the creation of positive role models for other children from the community
• the chance for vulnerable children to learn essential life skills such as enhanced self-esteem and confidence that offer them a route out of poverty and a healthy and constructive alternative to boredom which leads to substance abuse and crime
• the opportunity for young people to enrich their lives and build social skills in a safe and supportive learning environment
• specialised music tuition for youth who display leadership, talent and dedication which will enhance their prospects of employment as teachers or professional musicians Research has confirmed that arts education can contribute to improving the overall quality of education, cultural preservation, crime reduction, economic development and social cohesion while supporting vulnerable youth. However schools in rural areas remain ill-equipped and under-resourced, leaving learners unable to pursue arts studies at a tertiary level and also denying them much-needed access to creative outlets of self-expression.
The band charges R3000 per performance which includes their transport costs. We also ask that the venue or event provide the band players with something to eat and drink.
The Langeberg Steel Band provides such a great atmosphere and vibe to an event – a fabulous way to support a great cause and make your special occasion or festival a hit!
The Langeberg Steel Band
Marketing & Reservations
072 307 7399